Zelaron Gaming Forum

Zelaron Gaming Forum (http://zelaron.com/forum/index.php)
-   RPGMaker (http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   FF XII Bow/Arrow System (http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41637)

Noob101 2007-01-14 01:51 AM

FF XII Bow/Arrow System

Heya. I wanted to implement the Final Fantasy XII Arrow system into my game (as the name suggests). If you're not familiar with it, whenever you equip a bow in the game, it requires you to equip a type of arrow (onion arrows, parallel arrows, etc.). Depending on the arrow you have, your attack will increase or have some sort of status/elemental property. So...

Is there a way to do this? And if so, can you change the battle animation to show different types of arrows and their effects?

Lenny 2007-01-14 06:04 AM

Hmmm... they way I see it as possible is:

- Quivers of arrows are items [QUIV]
- Bow and certain arrow is also a weapon [B&A]
- Bog-standard bow is a weapon [BSB]

When the user equips the BSB it calls a common event into play that checks to see which QUIV you have and asks you which one you would like to equip. You choose one, which then equips the corresponding B&A and unequips the BSB.

If you set each QUIV to be the equivalent of 5 items, then you can have a common event checking to see how many QUIV you have, and deducting one every time you have a battle (this common event could be called at the end of each battle). If you want to go the whole FF hog you could have a battle screen pop up after the battle saying: You have X quivers left. When it gets to 0 quivers left, then your QUIV could be unequipped and the user then has to change to a different QUIV and hence a different B&A.

The battle animations are all weapon-dependant, so yes, it is possible to change them.

Which maker do you use? I can't remember if you're the 2K3 camp or the XP camp. :p

Noob101 2007-01-14 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny
Which maker do you use? I can't remember if you're the 2K3 camp or the XP camp. :p

Well, I used Rm2k until recently...Rm2k3 just sounded better for the project, so I picked it up.

I'll fiddle with it...Got any psuedo-code?

Lenny 2007-01-14 01:46 PM

Not really, sorry. I'm not even sure that will work. :p

If I remember, I'll give it a shot when I get home tomorrow evening. Until then, happy fiddling, I guess.

Noob101 2007-01-15 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hrm. I did the code below...

It's the item Long Bow (which is one handed) in my CMS and it's tripped when you have it in your inventory. The problem is...when I pick to equip it with Novice Arrows, the item Novice Arrows (which is a shield class item) disappears from my inventory, and another weapon of the same type I started with (the default Iron Sword) is added to my inventory...and I still have an iron sword equipped. Hmm. Can you see what's wrong?

By the way, everything after [Nevermind; Unequip bow] is just an ending to the above branch conditions; no coding.

Lenny 2007-01-15 10:44 AM

I've noticed one thing that i'sn't really needed:

You equip the Kraden Long Bow in the Yes handler, as well as in the branch if the player has the arrows.

When I get onto my computer I'll try it out and see if I can get something working.