View Single Post

Posted 2005-07-04, 03:26 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Recommended Books to Read?"
You're obviously into nerdier shit, so why not expand beyond the fantasy genre? Here's some great sci-fi stuff for you.

Neuromancer - William Gibson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
A Scanner Darkly - Phillip K. Dick

The Shadowrun novels are also a great read. Recommended titles would be:

Night's Pawn - Tom Dowd
Technobabel - Stephen Kenson
Psychotrope - Lisa Smedman

And then some Stephen King is always a good read. If you're looking for adventure, I would highly recommend the Dark Tower series. Seven books long, easily my favorite series ever. Other high priority titles would be:

The Stand (The longest thing he's ever written, but probably the best single work of his.)

IT (You've most likely seen the shitty movie. The book blew my mind.)

The Green Mile (The movie is actually a near-perfect presentation of the book. You might just want to watch the film instead.)

The Talisman (A tangent-story to the Dark Tower series. Absolutely crucial to read if you decide to tackle the DT books.)

Black House (The sequel to The Talisman, and even more important to read than its predecessor.)

Desperation (Disturbing and vile. My kind of story.)

The Regulators (A companion piece to Desperation. Not quite as good a story, but I'd say it's actually more disturbing than the other.)

The Eyes of the Dragon (A traditional fantasy-epic. Pretty damned good, and it ties into the Dark Tower.)

The Long Walk (One of the most fucked up stories I've ever read.)

The Running Man (Don't let that awful Schwarzeneggar movie fool you. The book was genius.)

Everything's Eventual (A collection of short stories, most of which are awesome, one of which is a prequel story to the Dark Tower series.)

Those would be my highest-recommended titles to check out. Have a blast.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel