View Single Post

Posted 2008-05-19, 03:00 AM in reply to Elizabeth's post starting "Ha brava, I won't tell you if your..."
Real Canadian Bear fur - humanely culled, though. They don't kill the bears specifically for the fur.

There's a name for them that has something to do with "bear", but I just can't remember it.

---

You know, Buckingham Palace is relatively young - the main facade that is seen was built in 1850 (the East Side with the massive statue outside), and redesigned in 1913. The main core building dates to 1703, which was then called Buckingham House.

As for the Tower, it was originally a simple square keep (the White Tower) built by William the Conqueror in 1078, with fortifications and a moat built by Richard the Lionheart in the 12th Century and Henry III in the 13th, and further fortifications between 1275 and 1285 by Edward I. It was actually a royal residence (Henry III's work) until Oliver Cromwell demolished the palatial buildings in his time in power (1653 to 1658).

Now if you want old, you need only look at the Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament) - earliest records suggest that it was a royal residence in 1016 of Canute the Great. William I moved there from the Tower during his reign. Sadly, the buildings were demolished by William II, and those which stand today are the ones he had built. Indeed, every Parliament has met in the Palace since 1295. So although the buildings might not be old as the Tower, the site itself is far older.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-05-19 at 03:05 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny