Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Recommend me some anime!
Posted 2007-01-06, 08:53 AM
I have a hankering, but not an inkling of what to watch. So please recommend me some good stuff :>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2007-01-06, 10:42 AM in reply to Dubby's post "Recommend me some anime!"
Hellsing's good, I just started it up.

Full Metal Alchemist is a must-watch.

And Sov will fill you in on around 50 others which you should see.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2007-01-06, 01:58 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Hellsing's good, I just started it up...."
yeah ive already seen both of those. cmon sovereign suit me up!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2007-01-06, 02:24 PM in reply to Dubby's post "Recommend me some anime!"
Are you looking for good new stuff, or just good stuff? What kind of stuff are you interested in?

Not new stuff that's good:
Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are both great action shows, set in a frontier-in-space setting.
Onegai Teacher is about the romance of a student who married his teacher (who is an alien) to get out of trouble, but they fall in love later.
.hack//SIGN is a drama about a boy who mysteriously finds himself trapped in an MMORPG. Is he a victim or a villan? Is this indicitave of something bigger happening? Does he really want to log out?
Noir is an action/drama about two assasins fighting to find the truth about their pasts.
All of these are excellent and will probably hold your interest even if you aren't really into their genres. All are available on region 1 DVD

New stuff that's good:
Simoun is a drama about priesteses that are forced to become soldiers, their fight with their feelings, their fight to become one, and their fight with the truth. This series finished in the second half of 2006. The full series is available subbed, if you look hard enough. Simoun-Fans is currently finishing up their sub of it.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a comedy about a girl who is omnipotent and doesn't know it, and those she surrounds herself with who do know and are trying to prevent the end of the world. I believe this series finished in 2005. It is available subbed. It has been recently licenced.
Ouran High School Host Club is a romance/comedy about a poor girl who is going to a rich high school and finds herself playing the part of a male "host", which is a gentleman who entertains women over tea and sweets. This show is hard to explain, but is great... I believe this series finished in 2005. It is available subbed. The manga is available in part in the US.
Soukou no Strain is a mech action/drama about a girl who's brother turned sides in the war and took everything from her. This show is still airing and is available subbed up to episode 9 so far, with dual subbing groups.
Kanon is a a romance based on the VN of the same name. Yuichi returns to a town that he visited for a time seven years in the past; his memory of that time is gone, but the town's memory of him is not... There is an earlier version, but the current one is much better. This show is still airing and is available subbed up to episode 14 so far, with dual subbing groups.
Busou Renkin is an action show about a boy whose life was saved by Arms Alchemy, who picks up the fight against Homonculus, creatures created by alchemy who eat humans. This show is still airing and is availabled subbed up to episode 13.

Last edited by WetWired; 2007-01-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-01-06, 03:05 PM in reply to Dubby's post "Recommend me some anime!"
Ninja Nonsense - A nice little comedy which consists of 4 disks. Each episode is about 12 minutes long. It really has no coherant plot. It's just good clean vulgar fun.

Full Metal Panic - Action / Mecha / Comedy with some hints of a romance building up. The art is nice, the story is interesting, and the girls are cute . Firt one was produced by gonzo. The last two were produced by Kyoto Animation.

Ai Yori Aoshi - Watch this only if you are into the mushy (i mean at times, REALLY MUSHY) romantc stuff. It's a harem show that spans two seasons. Animated by J.C. Staff, the colors are character designs are easy on the eyes.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Even though this show looks like it was made for 10 year olds, it is actually pretty interesting. There really isn't anything offensive in the series at all except the hinting at some gay relationships. The series spans some 70 episodes and 2 movies.

Hellsing Ultimate - Blood, gore, and Alucard. That's all you ever need to make a kick ass series. A partial remake of the first tv series, the animation and the blood have been jacked to the nine millionth degree. VERY nice action show.

Kamichu - One day, Yurie wakes up and announces to the world that she is a god. She's got weird magical powers, and can now see all the gods floating around the world that other normal people cant. These gods come in all shapes and sizes and are EVERYWHERE

There's more, but start with these titles first.

These are all licensed mind you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-01-06, 08:30 PM in reply to Dubby's post "Recommend me some anime!"
Here's my obligatory list of obscure anime:

Honey & Clover I & II
Mahoraba
Magikano
Fate/Stay Night
Higurashi
Eureka Seven
Genshiken
Welcome to the NHK

And many more