Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Posted 2005-03-22, 08:20 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Btw, googling riddles is lame. Oh,..."
You're telling me what's lame?

I googled it after he told me I was wrong because I knew I was right.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-03-22, 01:29 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You're telling me what's lame? I..."
Johnny's mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child's name?

Because cigars cannot be entirely smoked, a hobo who collects cigar butts can make a cigar to smoke out of every 5 butts that he finds. Today, he has collected 25 cigar butts. How many cigars will he be able to smoke?

Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

One of these is a trick question in the disguise of a trick question.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-03-22, 02:14 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Johnny's mother had three children. The..."
1. Johnny.

2. None, because cigars cannot be entirely smoked..?

3. They weigh.. the same, a pound.

4. Three

Are those right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-03-22, 02:28 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "1. Johnny. 2. None, because cigars..."
The first one is right.

The second... It's a math riddle. I don't smoke cigars, so I don't know how literally it's supposed to be taken.

The third is the trick-trick question, so no. But then, I guess that pretty much gives away the trick. I'll post up the explanation in a bit if nobody else can guess it.

And the fourth isn't even close to being right.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-03-22, 02:35 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "The first one is right. The..."
What..? Grav got the third one right. They both weigh a pound so neither could weigh more than the other.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-03-22, 02:46 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Johnny's mother had three children. The..."
1. Johnny

2. 6. He could make 5 cigars from the butts, then another one from the butts from those 5 cigars.

3. They are supposed to be the same but somehow you've twisted it to be a trick-trick question.

4. 2. In complete darkness, they are all the same color.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-03-22, 02:54 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "1. Johnny 2. 6. He could make 5..."
1) Johnny

2) 6 Cigars

3) A pound of feathers is more than a pound of gold because, technically, the unit is different. The most commonly used system of weights in the US and Great Britain is the avoirdupois system, where 1 pound = 16 ounces. This is used for most solid objects, except for precious metals and gems; gold is weighed by a special system, called the troy system, where one troy pound = 12 troy ounces. While an avoirdupois ounce is 28.35 grams, a troy ounce is about 31.10 grams. To convert from avoirdupois pounds to troy pounds, multiply the first by 1.2152 to get its equivalent in troy measurement. Therefore, one "pound" of feathers in troy weight is actually 1.2152 pounds (one avoirdupois pound), compared to one troy pound of gold.
(Partially quoted from some random site.)

4) 13 gloves. Example of worst-case scenario:
Pull. Get - 1 Left Black glove.
Pull. Get - 1 Left Brown glove.
Pull. Get - 1 Right Black glove.
Pair.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-03-22, 03:08 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "1) Johnny 2) 6 Cigars 3) A pound..."
Medieval Bob said:
3) A pound of feathers is more than a pound of gold because, technically, the unit is different. The most commonly used system of weights in the US and Great Britain is the avoirdupois system, where 1 pound = 16 ounces. This is used for most solid objects, except for precious metals and gems; gold is weighed by a special system, called the troy system, where one troy pound = 12 troy ounces. While an avoirdupois ounce is 28.35 grams, a troy ounce is about 31.10 grams. To convert from avoirdupois pounds to troy pounds, multiply the first by 1.2152 to get its equivalent in troy measurement. Therefore, one "pound" of feathers in troy weight is actually 1.2152 pounds (one avoirdupois pound), compared to one troy pound of gold.
(Partially quoted from some random site.)
But that's just silly.

And for the fourth, with the gloves.. you didn't specify that there was a specific left and right hand for the gloves. I have many pairs of gloves that are interchangeable. In which case 3 makes sense.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-03-22, 03:28 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "But that's just silly. And for the..."
Well, if the gloves have no designated palm, then, yes, 3 is the correct answer.

And, silly or no, now, if you ever have the opportunity to buy a pound of gold, you'll know... or remember... or nothing at all... that it may or may not be the standard 16 ounces that you're expecting.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:33 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Well, if the gloves have no designated..."
Medieval Bob said:
And, silly or no, now, if you ever have the opportunity to buy a pound of gold, you'll know... or remember... or nothing at all... that it may or may not be the standard 16 ounces that you're expecting.
That's retarded.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:36 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "That's retarded."
I have a riddle:

Documents A-H reveal some of the problems that many farmers in the late nineteenth century (1880-1900) saw as threats to their way of life. Using the documents and your knowledge of the period, (a) explain the reasons for agrarian discontent and (b) evaluate the validity of the farmer's complaints.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:39 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I have a riddle: Documents A-H..."
Seven.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:42 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Seven."
I believe you missed a few steps Thanatos, you see when you carry the 5 exponent 3, you have to divide the 1.346 by 16. That'll give you the answer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:56 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "I believe you missed a few steps..."
Damn
Cant wait to go to school and fool my math teacher
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2005-03-22, 06:58 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "I believe you missed a few steps..."
I was in a room full of water. The only way I could kill myself was to hang me..but that was too high. There was no chairs or anything to get myself up there. But I managed to do it. How?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2005-03-22, 07:00 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "I was in a room full of water. The only..."
You drown on your way swimming to the noose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2005-03-22, 07:19 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "I was in a room full of water. The only..."
You swam...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-03-22, 07:36 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You swam..."
Err.. how did I hang myself high.?? Come on guys=).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2005-03-22, 07:41 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "Err.. how did I hang myself high.??..."
Thats not what you said. Nice idea for a sig though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2005-03-22, 07:45 PM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "Err.. how did I hang myself high.??..."
Because the water was ice, Nub.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish