Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2005-12-23, 09:12 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Read through threads and posts..."
'Tis the natural evolution of conversation in an "inappropriate" place ...but you cannot stop nature Lenny! NO ONE CAN!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-23, 09:14 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Read through threads and posts..."
I'm not sure what you're talking about now.

If you have a problem with how I moderate the forums than you're better off bringing it up with Sov, since he is more of a war hawk than I am. I believe in a certain amount of freedom of the forums. If a gen con thread goes off topic I will most likely move it to chat, since removing 15 posts of a 25 post thread isn't a very efficient solution.

I just don't see why it's a big problem, because these forums aren't that active. You don't need that much intervention. Sov and I do move and split a considerable amount of stuff that is going over the line. But most of it is still within acceptable bounds in that it's just people talking. That's what a forum is for.

This is a small community, and I've been a part of it for a long time. It's always been more active and generally amusing when there are fewer restrictions placed on it.

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2005-12-23 at 09:16 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 09:26 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm not sure what you're talking about..."
Fewer restrictions are good, yes, but when it means that two forums for completely different things end up being the same, why have them?

I remember when i first joined there was a big difference between the two forums, but now there isn't. The two just need to be kept separate. Spam in Chat, Serious in Gen Con. Half of the things you mods get rid I don't see 'cos I'm asleep when the most activity takes place. It must be hard to get rid of everything, which is why the odd little thing slips through. I'm not complaining about that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-23, 10:38 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Still, people are complaining that the..."
Lenny said:
And can I ask, what was the point behind changing every single "labtop" in Ganga's thread to "laptop"? Fair enough if Ganga asked you to edit his post and title, but to edit the whole thread?
Whatever, that was an excellent move.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:06 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm not sure what you're talking about..."
GravitonSurge said:
If a gen con thread goes off topic I will most likely move it to chat, since removing 15 posts of a 25 post thread isn't a very efficient solution.
How do you not see a problem with that? Let's say I start a thread in Gen Con in which I'm expecting serious discussion about a topic, and then idiots A, B, and C, come in and spam it up. You move it to the chat forum and the thread never serves it's intended purpose. That gets very annoying. By doing that you are basically saying it's alright to spam in Gen Con because you'll just move all of the threads to the Chat Forum anyway. If you're gonna do that, just get rid of Gen Con all together.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "How do you not see a problem with that?..."
No, there's a difference between outright spamming and the focus changing. There is not much spamming occuring, and most of what is just simply spam is removed. What happens is that the focus of discussion is changed through a natural transition. It's the same way conversations happen between people. Have you ever told your girlfriend to stay on topic?

If people are just spamming to be assholes then those posts will be removed. But if the majority of posts are just on a related topic, then removing that majority of posts is ridiculous because that IS the discussion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:15 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "No, there's a difference between..."
Why don't you read the rules of the Gen Con forum for yourself? I already posted them once but here they are again just for you.

http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27946

Rule 2 is the one getting ignored, and it's the one that makes Gen Con how it's supposed to be. I don't care if people spam or post off topic, they should just do it in the chat forum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Why don't you read the rules of the Gen..."
2) Try to keep the context of your post on topic to the thread title. If the thread is about "Outlawing makeup" (just a stupid example), the posts must reflect the posters opinions and views on what is said about outlawing makeup.

Alright, and?

You cited the example of the David Duchovney thread. It turned into discussion about Chuck Norris jokes. Are you going to tell me that is really not in any way related to the topic? The original topic was just a passing remark about an actor being a badass. The Chuck Norris internet running gag ties into this. He is an actor who people think is a badass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:21 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "2) Try to keep the context of your post..."
Maybe a passing remark about CHuck Norris being a badass would have been fine, maybe two, but a whole thread being turned over for Chcuk Norris jokes is kinda going against those rules.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:21 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "2) Try to keep the context of your post..."
You are stretching the rule way too far. You know that Chuck Norris jokes have nothing to do with David Duchovney.

I also find it funny that when I was the one who posted a Chuck Norris joke(right after the first one in the thread), you decided to remove my post but leave the other one there, and then when I made a post about my post being gone, you removed that one as well. Is selective enforcement of the rules allowed now?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:23 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You are stretching the rule way too..."
Yes, that is an extreme example. But do you see my point? I didn't think the topic should have been in gen con to begin with but I let it stay to see what would happen.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, KA. I didn't remove any chuck norris post of yours. Did you fail to post it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:28 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yes, that is an extreme example. But do..."
GravitonSurge said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about, KA. I didn't remove any chuck norris post of yours. Did you fail to post it?
No, I did not "Fail to post it", it was removed. I'm almost certain it was removed by you, but don't worry, I'll find out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:30 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "No, I did not "Fail to post it", it was..."
There's no deleted message thing there, and it's not in the trashcan.

By the way, keeping things "strictly" on topic in gen con I've just split about 30 posts. D3V's holidays thread went from 26 posts to 6.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:33 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "There's no deleted message thing there,..."
I made 2 posts in the thread, and both of them were mysteriously removed. I saw them posted with my own eyes and then later they were gone. Don't bother yourself with that though, I'll figure it out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:35 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I made 2 posts in the thread, and both..."
I moved "my post was removed" to the trashcan because I had no idea what you were talking about. As for the first one, I have no idea. But you're getting off-topic, slick.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:38 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I moved "my post was removed" to the..."
The do your duty and split the thread, bud.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The do your duty and split the thread,..."
If I was to really do that then I'd have to create a whole new thread because what you guys are discussing now is unrelated to your first post, champ. And therein you see the dilemma.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:45 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "If I was to really do that then I'd..."
Splitting the thread DOES create a new thread if I remember correctly. You get to give it a new name if you want and everything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-23, 12:47 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Splitting the thread DOES create a new..."
Which seems completely unnecessary in this case.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-23, 01:05 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Which seems completely unnecessary in..."
The FAQ says:

Quote:
No spam outside of the chat forum
You may not post non-sense or intentionally pull a thread off-topic outside of the Chat Forum.
If this were in Gen Con it would have either been moved to Chat by now, or split.

As a mod it is your responsibilty to do these things when things go off topic. In this case, the thread started off about a nice little idea to keep new members, and has evolved into an argument between you a mainly !K_A!. Surely it is off topic enough now? If so, it should be split away from the main topic and maybe into Gen Con, or kept in Forum Discussion (as it is, in a way, discussing the Forums as a whole).

If this, to you, seems "completely unnecessary in this case" then you are not doing your job properly, to put it bluntly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny