Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

FF XII Bow/Arrow System
Posted 2007-01-14, 01:51 AM
Heya. I wanted to implement the Final Fantasy XII Arrow system into my game (as the name suggests). If you're not familiar with it, whenever you equip a bow in the game, it requires you to equip a type of arrow (onion arrows, parallel arrows, etc.). Depending on the arrow you have, your attack will increase or have some sort of status/elemental property. So...

Is there a way to do this? And if so, can you change the battle animation to show different types of arrows and their effects?

Last edited by Noob101; 2007-01-14 at 02:17 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2007-01-14, 06:04 AM in reply to Noob101's post "FF XII Bow/Arrow System"
Hmmm... they way I see it as possible is:

- Quivers of arrows are items [QUIV]
- Bow and certain arrow is also a weapon [B&A]
- Bog-standard bow is a weapon [BSB]

When the user equips the BSB it calls a common event into play that checks to see which QUIV you have and asks you which one you would like to equip. You choose one, which then equips the corresponding B&A and unequips the BSB.

If you set each QUIV to be the equivalent of 5 items, then you can have a common event checking to see how many QUIV you have, and deducting one every time you have a battle (this common event could be called at the end of each battle). If you want to go the whole FF hog you could have a battle screen pop up after the battle saying: You have X quivers left. When it gets to 0 quivers left, then your QUIV could be unequipped and the user then has to change to a different QUIV and hence a different B&A.

The battle animations are all weapon-dependant, so yes, it is possible to change them.

Which maker do you use? I can't remember if you're the 2K3 camp or the XP camp.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-14, 01:33 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Hmmm... they way I see it as possible..."
Lenny said:
Which maker do you use? I can't remember if you're the 2K3 camp or the XP camp.
Well, I used Rm2k until recently...Rm2k3 just sounded better for the project, so I picked it up.

I'll fiddle with it...Got any psuedo-code?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2007-01-14, 01:46 PM in reply to Noob101's post starting "Well, I used Rm2k until..."
Not really, sorry. I'm not even sure that will work.

If I remember, I'll give it a shot when I get home tomorrow evening. Until then, happy fiddling, I guess.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-15, 08:09 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Not really, sorry. I'm not even sure..."
Hrm. I did the code below...

It's the item Long Bow (which is one handed) in my CMS and it's tripped when you have it in your inventory. The problem is...when I pick to equip it with Novice Arrows, the item Novice Arrows (which is a shield class item) disappears from my inventory, and another weapon of the same type I started with (the default Iron Sword) is added to my inventory...and I still have an iron sword equipped. Hmm. Can you see what's wrong?

By the way, everything after [Nevermind; Unequip bow] is just an ending to the above branch conditions; no coding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rm2k3BowAndArrow.jpg (53.3 KB, 8 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Noob101

Posted 2007-01-15, 10:44 AM in reply to Noob101's post starting "Hrm. I did the code below... It's..."
I've noticed one thing that i'sn't really needed:

You equip the Kraden Long Bow in the Yes handler, as well as in the branch if the player has the arrows.

When I get onto my computer I'll try it out and see if I can get something working.

Last edited by Lenny; 2007-01-15 at 10:49 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny