Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Real Time
Posted 2006-05-30, 02:56 PM
I want to make a real time battling system, Cut Scene, Switchable Charachters and when it goes into battle i want the place to change. Soo how do i go about doing this. And which system do i use.

PS i make a pokemon game
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frogla

Posted 2006-05-31, 04:08 AM in reply to frogla's post "Real Time"
Methinks that Real Time would be much eaiser to make in RMXP than RM2K3, because of the fact that you can script with RMXP. That being said, however, if it doesn't need to be scripted in, then it is much much much easier to make in RM2K3.

Either way, there doesn't seem to much floating around for either. I'll have a look around. Can't promise anything though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-31, 08:36 AM in reply to frogla's post "Real Time"
thanks
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frogla

Posted 2006-05-31, 04:43 PM in reply to frogla's post starting "thanks"
Sweetness! a Pokémon game! heh, that's the next game on my list, so I'll help you out. for what you're suggesting, rm2k3 would be fine, except for the fact of swapping chars. There's no such thing as that, as his majesty Blue cube said before in response to someones question about their character changing sprites to become a beastie, so I'd go with rmxp for the sole fact of scripting.

as for cut scenes(oh boy! a Pokémon game with cut scenes?!!) If you get it right (although there is no default option in the preset script for movies), you could either script the ability to play frame by frame a movie at say... 10 fps, OR, and this is what I'm doing in my game, for the sheer reason that its already in the game, to play it as a battle animation.

As for the switching of maps, I'm not quite certain as to what you mean. So I'll answer what comes to mind. A default battle in rmxp would service this nicely, that is, if you put the Pokémon's back to you as in so many nice classic games, it would resemble an actual in game battle. you would just have to change the coordinates of the stat box to the center and move it to the right or left and place a new box in its place to serve as another Pokémon in double battles. If you're thinking something along the lines of SSBM or other game without the dull(sorry, my one problem with the games) battle systems, I'm sorry but I haven't gotten that far in my RGSS training, but there is a nice squad based Custom Battle system out there at rmxp.net either that or it's .org counterpart, rmxp.org

phew! PM me for more info and insight!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-05-31, 07:50 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Sweetness! a Pokémon game! heh, that's..."
Atnas said:
Sweetness! a Pokémon game! heh, that's the next game on my list, so I'll help you out. for what you're suggesting, rm2k3 would be fine, except for the fact of swapping chars. There's no such thing as that, as his majesty Blue cube said before in response to someones question about their character changing sprites to become a beastie, so I'd go with rmxp for the sole fact of scripting.

as for cut scenes(oh boy! a Pokémon game with cut scenes?!!) If you get it right (although there is no default option in the preset script for movies), you could either script the ability to play frame by frame a movie at say... 10 fps, OR, and this is what I'm doing in my game, for the sheer reason that its already in the game, to play it as a battle animation.

As for the switching of maps, I'm not quite certain as to what you mean. So I'll answer what comes to mind. A default battle in rmxp would service this nicely, that is, if you put the Pokémon's back to you as in so many nice classic games, it would resemble an actual in game battle. you would just have to change the coordinates of the stat box to the center and move it to the right or left and place a new box in its place to serve as another Pokémon in double battles. If you're thinking something along the lines of SSBM or other game without the dull(sorry, my one problem with the games) battle systems, I'm sorry but I haven't gotten that far in my RGSS training, but there is a nice squad based Custom Battle system out there at rmxp.net either that or it's .org counterpart, rmxp.org

phew! PM me for more info and insight!

so does that mean its impossible to make switches
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frogla

Posted 2006-05-31, 10:31 PM in reply to frogla's post starting "so does that mean its impossible to..."
Not at all, you can still make switches. The only thing that stands in your way is the limitations of the switches and how they can only do so much. You can still switch, but coding in rgss really helps if your game is different than your average rpg. RMXP is built for battles like in final fantasy mystic quest, not Final Fantasy 7. But if you get in there with a big ol pointy keeboard and really screw up the code, you could have a new breakthrough in the way your game works. The reason why I don't use rm2k3 is because my crappy computer won't respond to any font fixes, so I'm forced to use rmxp, but there are better graphics and the ability to send your finished, or demo version, of your file across the web without anyone having to download rmxp. one of the reasons it costs money, but apparently better versions of the game go for around the time to download(time is money to some people...I have no Idea how, pm if you know how I can get money out of my time.) so overall... Use whatever you feel like, experiment, ask questions, and if you still don't get it... Ask Blue cube. Most people don't like rmxp, and I don't blame them, but who cares? as long as the game that comes out of it is fun and enjoyable...oops off topic.
so yes you can do switches in any one of those nifty programs. It's just a matter of how strong you want them to be. I have a feeling I misinterpretted your phrase switching of maps. I thought you meant swapping, not the actual switches which go on, off, and have cost me many switchy minutes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-06-01, 03:14 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Not at all, you can still make..."
well heres a little info on my game

Im not good at coding and such so anyone who wants to help do this game that can code would be greatly appreciated. I would sprite

Name: Pokemon Orange Sun Version
Program: RMXP or Sphere or Game Maker don’t know

Title: The title screen is a ho-oh flapping its wings up and down. Over a grass land with a setting sun in the back drop.

Story: In a land long ago there lived the legendary bird Ho-oh. The people lived in peace with Ho-oh. Until one day….

Then you start off with Micheal he wakes up to go and find out his sister took his pokemon out to route woodburrow to play. SO he ventures out to get them with his Evee. Once he does he hears a loud bang. He gets sent to Mount Rainbow. You then get to control HO-oh and fight this intruders from future. Once you lose you will go back to Micheal. And will go up and fight them to. You will also lose and as you do the screen goes Grayscale.

You will then talk to proffesor oak and will ask if you’re a boy or girl. Then your sprite and then your name.

Then your character will go around the nation of Kanto collecting badges when he soon realizes that he is the chosen one to bring peace to the land. As he discovers a plot by a evil team called team apocalypse . Which is to go back in time to steal Ho-oh soul for evil purposes. On this part 1 of the 7 part series your character is just trying to find the first legendary feather so to awaken Ho-oh. (But actually the taking Ho-oh’s spirit doesn’t occur till the 7th game since that’s when they travel back in time)

For this game which one of the above systems should I use. Sphere, Game Maker or RPMX?

What id like to have

Real Time Battling- So you walk on the route pokemon will freely be buzzing around (yes overworld). Each Pokemon has a Chasing level being anywhere from –1 which mean that it will run or 3 which means will chase you until it loses track of you or you defeat it.
And pokemon are going to live more closely net so that means you would see a lot of beedrill in one place. Ok so once yoou either attack the pokemon by switching ( ill show that later) or it attck the pokemon or the trainer you must battle. The battle directs you to a arena which is different for each area and there you duke it out in real time. With a HP bar on top and bottom and also a new Energy bar. The Pokemoin will use attacks with diffrenet keys and now attacks don’t use PP they use Energy which gradually restores over time

Switching- Id like to include Switching which means if you press a key you can switch from controlling Pokemon or Trainer. Which each have diffrenet uses. When you switch you automatically control the front of your party.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frogla

Posted 2006-06-01, 03:24 PM in reply to frogla's post starting "well heres a little info on my game ..."
wow! that sounds like a nifty Idea, but before you start it... DO NOT USE GAME MAKER. No offense to gm users, but the program sucks. Ever heard of dark age? that was made with gm and it was choppy and poorly compiled. it wasn't the creators fault, it was the system. I have no Idea of what sphere is so.... enlighten me. I would suggest rmxp. I'm still learning coding, but once I do learn it, I'd be happy to help you.

I like the battle system! good job thinking that up, that wipes out any of my peeves about Pokémon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-06-01, 05:06 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting ":) wow! that sounds like a nifty Idea,..."
Atnas said:
wow! that sounds like a nifty Idea, but before you start it... DO NOT USE GAME MAKER. No offense to gm users, but the program sucks. Ever heard of dark age? that was made with gm and it was choppy and poorly compiled. it wasn't the creators fault, it was the system. I have no Idea of what sphere is so.... enlighten me. I would suggest rmxp. I'm still learning coding, but once I do learn it, I'd be happy to help you.

I like the battle system! good job thinking that up, that wipes out any of my peeves about Pokémon.
good i know nothing about coding me and you need to team up ill try to pm you and we can work but if it doesnt ill tell you so you can email me at shelbytylersmith@aol.com. I suck at coding so youd be great help. THANK You.

But ill make the sprites and stuff all you need to do is code. ill pm you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frogla