Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

I Need to know all about Variables in rpg maker 2k or 2k3
Posted 2007-01-15, 07:48 PM
My main reason for posting this is I need someone who knows the in and outs of the input keys, variables, switches (least needed), & conditional branches in the RPG Maker 2000 & 2003.

Really I just need step by step instructions on some of the very useful features of variables/input key/conditional branches it would be very greatly appreciated.

I'm also hoping that someone knows how to set where your characters can be placed using variables, kind of a global positioning of some sort.

Thanks ahead of time, Goodlookinguy
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-16, 06:17 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "I Need to know all about Variables in..."
If anyone can post anything that would help me too.

You use emoticons, bad boy! You lied to me, brother!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Michael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMichael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Michael_sama

Posted 2007-01-16, 06:24 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "I Need to know all about Variables in..."
I have never used input keys, so no help there, but the variables are easy.

I actually made a bank system with variables, where you choose how much to withdraw and deposit. I will use that to explain variables.

Okay, first things first, or at least for me, set up the variables. Create a new event, and open the window with all the different event commands. Choose Variable Operations. Now, name your variables something simple (for this the names will be as follows: InBank, Deposit, Withdraw, CurrentCash)

The CurrentCash variable will be updated constantly to refelct the player's amount of money.

The InBank variable will be used to keep track of how much money the player has deposited into the bank.

The Withdraw and Deposit variables will be checked with the other variables to make sure that you aren't withdrawing 1,000,000 gold, when the bank only has 25, or that you aren't depositing 50,000 gold, when you only have 60.

These variables keep track of the number that represents the gold. Variables can keep track of anything and everything related to numbers. You can even use variables to keep track of switches, with a 1 for on and a 0 for off. It's up to you on how creative you want to get.

Switches are easier to understand if you look at the lightswitch in your house. If you turn the switch to the off position, your light is off. Turn the switch to the on position, and the light is on. Same thing for these switches. If you turn switch 0001 on, then anything that has the precondition of switch 0001 being on, will be activated. Try this, make a character on a map, and create a second page. On the first page, make the character say, "Hello, and yadda yadda yadda!" Then open up the Event Commands window, choose Switch Operations, and make switch 0001 turn on. On page 2 of your character, you will set it so he says something different, but only when the switch is turned on. On the left hand side, under page conditions, click the checkbox that says switch _____ is on. Now, choose switch 0001, and make him say something like, "Switch 0001 is on. Congradulations!" and now test play to see if it works. That is all there is about switches.

As for the placing characters with variables, it is possible, and the program even has it's own Event Commmand for it. Memorize Position is on page 2 of the event commands. It lets you choose the variable to store the Map ID, the X coordinate, and the Y coordinate. Use Recall Memorized Position to place the character or event where ever your little heart desires.

The position memory and recall is 2K3 by the by. Not sure about 2K.

TIP: Use \v[xxxx] to display a variable in text fields, and \n[xxxx] to display a hero's name. The numbers can be found in the database, or in the window where you choose which variable to use.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2007-01-16, 08:59 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I have never used input keys, so no..."
Thank you Draco2003 for the help on these subjects. As for you brother, I'm not sure what your talking about.

Goodlookinguy
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-17, 12:41 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "I Need to know all about Variables in..."
I know how to use switches, since they are pretty basic. The variable stuff is harder for me, which is why I dislike complex math, haha.

What confuses me is the "by the by" of RPG Maker 2003. What does that mean?

Lastly, do you have a game or demo? I would like to see the bank system you created.

Goodlookingguy(Insert huge ego here.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Michael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMichael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Michael_sama

Posted 2007-01-18, 05:56 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I have never used input keys, so no..."
Wow, Draco 2003 exactly how did you do your banking system, I've tried to set somthing like that up but I failed. It'd be neat if could show how you did that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-21, 01:37 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I have never used input keys, so no..."
If what I post here actually appears thank God, because I have posted several things and they have not appeared yet maybe they will suddenly and are above this post I don't know.

Anyway, I asked in my posts that haven't appeared if Draco2003 can you show me step by step how you created that banking system on yours I would be deeply grateful to you.

Goodlookinguy
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Cool
Posted 2007-01-21, 09:44 PM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "I know how to use switches, since they..."
Michael_sama said:
Goodlookingguy(Insert huge ego here.)
Chou baka(ばか , バカ), kiss my butt Michael

Goodlookinguy

(Goodlookinguy not Goodlookingguy)

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2007-01-23 at 09:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-22, 04:29 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "I Need to know all about Variables in..."
For everyone else, just don’t worry about our quarrel. I push for better use of English online and anti-emoticons.

For you, my brother, not only do you disgrace the English language (lookin), but you place a happy face at the end. How dare you! (It’s chou anyway, baka.)

Back to the real post reason, which is if anyone knows any of the techniques posted by the first post that have not been clarified, please contribute your knowledge. I will thank you in advance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Michael_sama

Posted 2007-01-26, 04:09 PM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "For everyone else, just don’t worry..."
I'm too lazy to read that big post.

Can you tell me what is left to explain?

By the way, I'll definately be doing a tutorial now.
I've seen the same questions asked over and over again for far too long.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2007-01-26, 04:18 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I'm too lazy to read that big post. ..."
And you've only been here for 8 months.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-26, 05:00 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "And you've only been here for 8 months...."
Yup.

I'm going to read all of my early posts.

It's sure to be amusing to see how I was just like all the other "Plz hlp wts a evnt/" people.

EDIT: Meh, it only goes back to 500, and that's when I was a bit better in how I held myself online.

Last edited by Atnas; 2007-01-26 at 05:10 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Cool [Check out my signiture]
Posted 2007-01-27, 03:44 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Yup. I'm going to read all of my..."
Specifics, all right.

A CurrentCash variable, it will be updated constantly to reflect the player's amount of money.

An InBank variable, it will be used to keep track of how much money the player has deposited into the bank.

And the Withdraw and Deposit variables, they will be checked with the other variables to make sure that you aren't withdrawing 1,000,000 gold, when the bank only has 25, or that you aren't depositing 50,000 gold, when you only have 60.

I took those directly from Draco2003's post

And also input keys, & deep into the structure of conditional branches in the RPG Maker 2000 & 2003. And could you explain global positioning a bit clearer and deeper.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-27, 04:18 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "[Check out my signiture]"
I worked it into something I was doing for somebody... then realised I was going about it the wrong way. So I saved it.

Here's what I wrote - you'll have to take it and use the same principles to your own means.

---

Quote:

Map Event for Monster Group Attack

In this event you will need to:

a) Memorise Position
b) Call Common Event for Monster Group
c) Call Common Event for Battle Terrain

This is done as shown:

<>Memorise Location [0001], [0002], [0003]
<>Call Event: Monster Group CE
<>Call Event: Battle Terrain CE
<>

Sadly, Memorise Position makes use of Variables, but you’ll have to put up with it.

The variables it stores are: Map ID, X Co-ordinate, Y Co-ordinate. You can choose where they are located.

For ease of use, I’ve stored them in:

Variable: [0001:Map ID]
Variable: [0002:X Co-ordinate]
Variable: [0003:Y Co-ordinate]

The Recall to Memorised Position event will use these three to:

- Find the map you were on
- Find the x co-ordinate you were at
- Find the y co-ordinate you were at

I think it may teleport you there automatically, but I’m not entirely sure.

That event, on square on the battle map, or in the victory handler, is:

<>Recall to Location:V[0001] (V[0002],V[0003])
<>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-27, 05:23 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I worked it into something I was doing..."
<>Key Input Proc: [0069:Movement Keys]
<>Variable Oper: [0045:Global X] Set, Hero X Coord.
<>Variable Oper: [0046:Global Y] Set, Hero Y Coord.
<>Variable Oper: [0072:Hero Map ID] Set, Hero Map ID
<>Branch if Var [0004:Inputs] is 5 Not
<>Variable Oper: [0107:Weapon X] Set, -1
<>Variable Oper: [0108:Weapon Y] Set, -1
<>
: End
<>Branch if Var[0004:Inputs] is 6 Not
<>
<>Branch if Var[0004:Inputs] is 10 Not
<>

I was looking up games and download a game that was a remake of the "Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" and found this global positioning in the common event area, well what do you think of it? Because it makes absoulutly no sense to me.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2007-01-27, 05:43 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "<>Key Input Proc: [0069:Movement Keys]..."
Right, what exactly is it you want to do? You've said "a global positioning system", but that doesn't explain what you want.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-27, 06:00 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Right, what exactly is it you want to..."
It does explain it, but I just can't figure it out I'm thinking though, so no worries.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy