Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

External hard drives?
Posted 2006-05-13, 06:10 PM
I'm looking for an external hard drive with a storage capacity of more than 200 GB. All external hard drives which I've found so far that match these specifications use a separate AC adapter for power. I'm only interested in models which are fed power through an USB port. I have seen a 250 GB one in action before, but I cannot remember its brand, nor has Google been of any avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-05-13, 08:27 PM in reply to Chruser's post "External hard drives?"
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=-536908016 mebbe
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-13, 09:03 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/p..."
I can't find any information on that site about whether the external hard drives use an external transformer / AC adapter or not.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-05-13, 09:08 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I can't find any information on that..."
Ah shit. NVM. Seagate.com says it comes with ac power adapter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-13, 10:30 PM in reply to Chruser's post "External hard drives?"
Many computers won't supply the power; you're best off just using the power adapter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-05-13, 11:04 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Many computers won't supply the power;..."
WetWired said:
Many computers won't supply the power; you'll beat off just using the power adapter.
Haha WetWired you silly goose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-05-16, 12:45 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Haha WetWired you silly goose."
Im pretty sure you can just get a regular harddrive and hook it up with an external hard drive casing. Im sure it would be easier to find one of those with USB power.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-05-16, 04:00 PM in reply to Chruser's post "External hard drives?"
Here's the best one I've found so far, but it's rather expensive:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Iomega...33356/p/696194

This one "only" has a 100 GB capacity, but it's a lot cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Last edited by Chruser; 2006-05-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-05-23, 12:01 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Here's the best one I've found so far,..."
Well what are you planning on storing on it? Just using it to back stuff up? 100 gigs seems like plenty to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-05-23, 01:47 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Here's the best one I've found so far,..."
Why is it you want one that doesn't plug in to the wall?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-23, 02:39 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "Well what are you planning on storing..."
He might be using it for Picaroni. He did mention in the Picaroni thread about an external HDD.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-23, 02:47 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He might be using it for Picaroni. He..."
Yes, but why couldn't he just... plug it into a wall?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-23, 02:51 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yes, but why couldn't he just... plug..."
I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe he doesn't have enough sockets to plug it into?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-23, 02:57 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe he..."
Yes, because that makes sense.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-05-23, 03:04 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yes, because that makes sense."
I'll be using it for Picaroni, so plugging it into the wall will be a possibility. It'd just be nice to be able to access the data without a separate transformer on a car trip. Also, I'm sure some AC acapter-using external hard drives are power hogs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser