Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Simoun
Posted 2006-10-24, 10:35 PM
I just started watching this series, and I can't put it down.

It's kind of like one of those mech dramas without the long mech fights, but not really...

The story is that a theocratic country has best power technology, helical motors, which have been excavated in their country and are used to power both flying machines and trains. The primary use of this technology, both now and presumably originally, is in offering prayers in the form of patterns drawn with Simoun, their holy airships. The surrounding countries covet the helical motor technology and start war.

In this world, every person is born female. When they come of age, they travel to the Spring and choose their gender. When they do this, they become adults, however, only a child can become a priestess and pilot a Simoun. When war breaks out, the priestesses must use the Simoun as a weapon of war, offering up prayers of destruction to protect their land from the invaders. The government asks the priestess to stay children so that they can fight, but many who don't want to fight or can't stomach war travel to the Spring. Desparate for pilots to fight the war, new recruits aren't from as high a lineage and may not even care about prayers become priestesses, causing inner turmoil in this group and others.

This anime is about how one battle group struggles to become a whole and to save their country.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-10-25, 01:48 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Simoun"
If I enjoyed Marimite and Strawberry Panic, will I like this?

I have it downloaded, just haven't really watched it yet.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2006-10-25, 08:02 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "If I enjoyed Marimite and Strawberry..."
I havn't heard of those.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-10-25, 11:03 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I havn't heard of those."
They're the other two very well received yuri animes :/

I guess I'll check out Simoun, since it's just sitting on my harddrive anyway
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2006-10-26, 11:42 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Simoun"
Well, I've finished the series, and I have to say, this is my new top anime, above .hack or Initial D. This series just grabs me in an indescribable way.

Since Sovereign asked if it was possible for a war story to have a happy ending, I will say that while things do turn out in a despressing manner, the series leaves you on a positive note.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-02, 10:49 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Simoun"
The sub by Simoun-Fans is complete for the series.

I still go back and watch episodes from this series periodically.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-10, 03:51 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The sub by Simoun-Fans is complete for..."
The batch torrent is up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired