Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Gene Flow Between Humans and Neandertals?
Posted 2008-04-16, 11:33 AM
Remember what FoxP2 is? I wrote a bit about it here. Well, a recent paper shows that the same two amino-acid substitutions occurred in the neandertal FoxP2 homologue that occurred in humans. The commonly accepted hypothesis is that there was no gene flow between humans and neandertals. The paper suggests two hypotheses for why we share the same two amino-acid substitutions with neandertals -- one is based off of the accepted model, which would imply that the amino-acid substitution occurred over 300 thousand years ago. The other is based off of the idea that small amounts of gene flow occurred between the human and neandertal populations. The paper then describes why the second hypothesis is better supported by the data.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-04-16, 11:59 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Gene Flow Between Humans and..."
Awesome. I had heard people suggested that Neandertals had been bred into extinction with the human population. There were supposed hybrid skeletons found, but I think that fizzled out. Good find .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-16, 02:12 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Awesome. I had heard people suggested..."
I haven't heard of Neandertals... only Neanderthals
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-04-16, 02:18 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/spe..."
MJ is a weapon of mass pwnage.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-16, 02:21 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "MJ is a weapon of mass pwnage."
Well, atleast I wasn't very far off.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-