Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Spam Scam
Posted 2005-05-02, 09:07 PM
Email

at the bottom of spam emails there's usually a "Remove Me" type of link...

Then you submit your email for removal from the mailing list...

I think it's just a cute way to let the spammers know who is still reading these emails.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-05-02, 09:13 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post "Spam Scam"
When you send them your e-mail they just send you a shitload more spam.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-05-02, 11:40 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post "Spam Scam"
Why do you read spam?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-05-03, 07:11 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Why do you read spam?"
well... to unsubscribe?

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-05-03, 10:14 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "well... to unsubscribe?"
Just bounce the emails back to them and the computer that sends 'em will think that your email address is no longer in use. So it stops sending them to you. It does work believe me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-03, 10:19 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "well... to unsubscribe?"
Get better spam filter!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-05-03, 10:51 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Get better spam filter!"
I only use that link if I remember signing up for the email in the first place.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-05-03, 11:02 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Just bounce the emails back to them and..."
Not really; apparently some spammer has started using my work e-mail address as the sender for spam, so I now get a flood of failure messages and they all go directly to my trashcan and the sender never sees them. Spammers don't use repliable sending addresses. Besides, why do they care if an e-mail address doesn't exist anymore? The price of an e-mail is arround a thousandth of a cent.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-03, 11:43 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Not really; apparently some spammer has..."
WetWired, you're a pretty intelligent person, maybe you know the answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.

Why is it that e-mail spammers and pop-ups and pop-unders and pop-arounds and everything else get worse and worse every year? Do people actually get influenced to click on pop-ups and buy whatever product or service is being offered?

I can't remember one time that I've ever intentionally clicked on a popup and bought something or opened a spam-mail and bought something.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-03, 12:00 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "WetWired, you're a pretty intelligent..."
Because none of us are internet noobs. Internet advertising is big business. I've seen people think that they won a free iPod because they shot a baloon or some dumb shit in a pop up window and so they go and fill out all the shit. I don't know. As long as one out of every 1000 people actualy buy something they are proably still making money.

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds. That, is when the world will end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zeal311

Posted 2005-05-03, 02:13 PM in reply to zeal311's post starting "Because none of us are internet noobs...."
How can any intelligent being believe they will get a free ipod for clicking on a balloon?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-03, 02:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "How can any intelligent being believe..."
Some people have very poor mousing skill, and thus believe that everyone else does, too. That, or their computer is so slow that it looks like they're jumping arround randomly. Generally, though the people that click on those are the same ones who have their computer so full of malware that it barely moves; I'm sure you know of at least one person like that, so...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-03, 02:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "How can any intelligent being believe..."
Speaking of popups, I just got a pretty funny one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg condompic.JPG (51.1 KB, 22 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-03, 02:26 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Speaking of popups, I just got a pretty..."
Haha.. that is pretty funny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-05-04, 03:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Not really; apparently some spammer has..."
It works if it's a computer on the other end that is sending the spam. They must be programmed not to send spam to emails that bounce it back, as it puts them under the impression that they musn't be in use anymore.

But if it's a manual spammer...well, then you're screwed...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-04, 03:54 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It works if it's a computer on the..."
I'll show you a lymeric, you piece of shit whore.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-05-04, 04:13 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It works if it's a computer on the..."
What I'm saying is that usually, there is no legit address for it to bounce back to. Apparently this one spammer rotates through their list of e-mails to spam as the list of senders.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-05, 09:34 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "What I'm saying is that usually, there..."
Well...it works for me...

And how did they get access to your work email addresses to use them to send spam??? I've heard of viruses doing that (mydoom etc.), but just to send spam to other people???
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-05, 10:26 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well...it works for me...:D And how..."
I theorize that they just use addresses from the list of addresses to send the spam to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-06, 11:01 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I theorize that they just use addresses..."
Fair enough.

I keep on getting spam from some online magazine...I bounce it back, it comes by a different address...I unsubscribe from what I haven't subscribed to, and it still comes...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny