Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Should I get my GED?
Posted 2008-12-17, 06:28 AM
I'm 15, i'm thinking of getting my GED, so i can attend a community college and get my associates degree in computer engineering, so i can then go to UCF to get my bach degree.

Is this smart? I want to know if theres a better way in doing this, or another way that will be better, ect.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-17, 06:34 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Should I get my GED?"
I'd recommend, for social reasons, that you stay in your high school and just finish out normally. If you're 15 you are what, probably in 10th or 11th grade? Might as well just go another year or two and finish it out.

Drop us a little more information, and the insight will be a little greater on helping advise you on what to do. Do you need to get a head start on college for any reason?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-12-17, 06:45 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'd recommend, for social reasons, that..."
15 = 9th grade I'd say.

Stay in High school, you'll regret it if you don't. Plus a high school diploma is worth a lot more than a GED.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-12-17, 06:47 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "15 = 9th grade I'd say. Stay in High..."
If you want an accelerated diploma there are programs here called 'JumpStart' but it is really intended for the students that are dipshits and can't manage to get decent grades in normal classes so they go to an adult-education type deal.

And UCF huh? Florida boy, just need more information really.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-12-17, 07:46 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "If you want an accelerated diploma..."
D3V said: [Goto]
If you want an accelerated diploma there are programs here called 'JumpStart' but it is really intended for the students that are dipshits and can't manage to get decent grades in normal classes so they go to an adult-education type deal.

And UCF huh? Florida boy, just need more information really.
Yeah, FL :P I'm homeschooled. So i'm not actually in High School, but i do get a grad and HS Diploma with this school. The thing is, i'd rather get a quick start on going to college. I was talking to a friend of mine who is currently going to UCF, she says that once you get your degree they don't look at your HS dip/GED is that true?

Btw, Tell me what more info you want :P

lol d3v, i just noticed you said for "Social Reasons" what do you mean?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-17, 07:51 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Yeah, FL :P I'm homeschooled. So i'm..."
Well if you are homeschooled, then my saying "for social reasons" goes right out the door. I was saying that because you are fifteen, and by the time you got into college you would be about 16, and there would be a 2-3 year age gap of just the freshman there.

I'm really just curious what you are going to school for. If you are going for a doctorate or a lawyers degree, something that would take 8+ years, then you might want to get a jump on it, but even so, finishing school normally would still be fine.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-12-17, 08:21 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well if you are homeschooled, then my..."
D3V said: [Goto]
Well if you are homeschooled, then my saying "for social reasons" goes right out the door. I was saying that because you are fifteen, and by the time you got into college you would be about 16, and there would be a 2-3 year age gap of just the freshman there.

I'm really just curious what you are going to school for. If you are going for a doctorate or a lawyers degree, something that would take 8+ years, then you might want to get a jump on it, but even so, finishing school normally would still be fine.
Lol, that what i thought. I have no prob being with older girls anyways XD.

I'm hoping in getting at least my masters in computer engineering/programing. I'm still looking into exactly what its called. I want to be a programer/be certified to fix computers.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-17, 09:13 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Lol, that what i thought. I have no..."
Um, I know you're homeschooled, but would you be able to take college courses while still in high school? Several high schools around here have PSEO (Post-Secondary Education Option) in which you can take college course and have them count as your high school credits, and you carry them into your college career. You could essentially start college as a technical sophomore if you took enough credits.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-12-17, 09:54 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Um, I know you're homeschooled, but..."
Highschool diploma > GED. However that is really only the case if you are stopping there. I finished highschool and recieved my diploma and have no intention of going to college, so a GED wouldn't be good for me. On the other hand you are intending to go to college and get your bach degree in computer engineering. I couldn't imagine a possible employer saying, wow this guy has a bach degree and straight A's all the way down, he aced his [insert comp engineering test], and I've heard he has an excellent attitude. But he did only get his GED, oh well.. next.

I don't see ^ happening at all. I say go for it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-12-17, 09:56 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Um, I know you're homeschooled, but..."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Um, I know you're homeschooled, but would you be able to take college courses while still in high school? Several high schools around here have PSEO (Post-Secondary Education Option) in which you can take college course and have them count as your high school credits, and you carry them into your college career. You could essentially start college as a technical sophomore if you took enough credits.
To tell you the truth, i'm not sure. I know i've spoken to a homeschool-advisor-type-person and she told me that i could do this program called the roman-something or something-roman. I think its dual-roman or something, anyways, it's a program that lets you take college classes while you do high school.

What i want to know, is does it REALLY matter that much if you finished highschool as opposed to a GED? Because, if you look at it, once you get your bach degree and some work experiance, you just as good as someone who did go to highschool.. and btw, i'm thinking of getting my masters if i get my GED.

Replying to Kazilla: That what i'm hoping, I just want to make sure, because if i've heard correctly once you get your GED you can't go back and get your HS diploma. The thing is, i'm really only doing programming for fun, its something i enjoy. I'll probably be following my parents footsteps :P (Investor in stock-market / real estate)

Last edited by Wolfturn; 2008-12-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-17, 10:11 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "To tell you the truth, i'm not sure. I..."
Dual Enrollment?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-12-17, 10:30 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Dual Enrollment?"
-Spector- said: [Goto]
Dual Enrollment?
There you go :P lol, all this time i thought it was roman :P lol

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-12-17, 11:39 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "There you go :P lol, all this time i..."
Hahahaha!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-12-17, 01:31 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "There you go :P lol, all this time i..."
Wolfturn, the terms you were looking for were "Computer Technologies" and "Computer Science." I just finished my Computer Technologies class today. I could go and take one of the A+ exams. However, I don't really want to. Thing is, I'm in 12th and am going to graduate. I'll need the HS Diploma to make sure places will even want to except me and to make sure I get a job and get payed a regular wage. Get your HS Diploma, you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-12-17, 02:41 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Wolfturn, the terms you were looking..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
Wolfturn, the terms you were looking for were "Computer Technologies" and "Computer Science." I just finished my Computer Technologies class today. I could go and take one of the A+ exams. However, I don't really want to. Thing is, I'm in 12th and am going to graduate. I'll need the HS Diploma to make sure places will even want to except me and to make sure I get a job and get payed a regular wage. Get your HS Diploma, you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.
you mean your getting your college degree in "Computer Technologies?" (and yeah you were right about the names, its "Computer Science") Because, i want to get my degree, in computer science, then with that, get accepted and get payed reg wage, i'm going to start looking around and asking employers if they would hire a person with a bach degree but has a GED. Because i really don't think thats a big deal. (btw, i'm going to take the SAT's)

Edit: Ok, i found this website, is it equal to the HS diploma? Because, on this Page is says that its not a GED. Is it worse than the GED? if someone knows anything about this program, please tell me.
http://students.cndlp.org/faq.aspx?s=CHS

Last edited by Wolfturn; 2008-12-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn