Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

Job scenario
Posted 2009-06-16, 12:22 PM
I've been working at the same lax job for over 2 years now, the job is sweet obviously because I can post on here, listen to music, sit in the air conditioning and the work itself requires almost no thought at all. I just got a call from a local warehouse distribution center that would start me off about $6 MORE an hour and the shifts are 3 days a week 12 hours a shift. Yep, 4 days off! I'm thinking I can keep my current job and drop the hours in half in addition to taking this new job, potentially. I have an interview at 2pm tomorrow and am thinking of an excuse to get off early, this should be fun.

Of course neither of these are really long-term .. that I know of.

I need some advice from the experts.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-16, 12:37 PM in reply to D3V's post "Job scenario"
I'd say keep your current job, try the new job, and if you like the new job, decide if you want to work both, or if you only want to work the new job.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-16, 12:56 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'd say keep your current job, try the..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
I'd say keep your current job, try the new job, and if you like the new job, decide if you want to work both, or if you only want to work the new job.
That's exactly what i'm going to do. Since my current job is very, very flexible I can basically setup my own schedule as long as it's not something ridiculous. I'm super excited to potentially be making some extra money here shortly, but I still need to do pretty well on the interview. Oh well, hopefully things will turn out the way that I want it to. We'll see.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-16, 01:10 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That's exactly what i'm going to do...."
Things will likely turn out however they're supposed to turn out, D3v. Go with the flow :P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-16, 01:19 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Things will likely turn out however..."
Oh and the +additional money (they said) they would start me out around 16.50/hr. That's pretty damn good money for only needing a damn high school diploma.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-16, 02:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh and the +additional money (they..."
I can say with certainty I'd like a job that pays that well that I only have to work 3 days a week. I'd take that over my desk job any day.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-16, 02:50 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I can say with certainty I'd like a job..."
AB-SO-FUCKING-LUTELY.

I have a buddy that has been working there for almost 6 months or so, hence I might be able to get a good word in. It's funny because the middle siblign in our family already went and had an interview like a week or so ago, and now i'm up (he applied a week before I did). We'll see what's up.

I'll probably update tomorrow and see how it went. I already know what they're going to be asking me down to the specifics, and how long it will take before they inform me if I have the position or not.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-17, 11:23 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "AB-SO-FUCKING-LUTELY. I have a buddy..."
Any update? How did the interview go? What does the job entail, does it involve a lot of physical labour?

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-06-17, 04:31 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "AB-SO-FUCKING-LUTELY. I have a buddy..."
I'm moving to a 4 day work week soon. Front-loading with 12 hour days to make up the hours. Woot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 06:17 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm moving to a 4 day work week soon...."
Grav said: [Goto]
I'm moving to a 4 day work week soon. Front-loading with 12 hour days to make up the hours. Woot.
Hell yeah, that's whasssuppp.

Okay, well I went to the interview yesterday afternoon. The interview itself only took about five minutes. I watched one of those pre-orientation videos of the basic job outline and what the job entails. There are only two weekend shifts available at this time. Friday/Saturday/Sunday from either 4am-4pm or 5am-5pm (different sorting hours). The woman interviewing told me basically you come in at that time and leave whenever your section finishes their work. The job will start me off at 16.15 if I get the job and I will find out by next week (next wednesday) if I have it or not.

I'm starting to already have second thoughts though. I would have almost no life for the rest of this summer and possibly even longer, cutting out fri/sat/sun that is. I'm still going to wait and see if they hire me, we'll see. If I don't get it it's w/e because I still have a great job ATM in which I can still position myself for more advancements while i'm still in school.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-18, 06:51 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Hell yeah, that's whasssuppp. Okay,..."
You should be amassing money right now while you can. It's hard for a lot of kids to even find jobs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:24 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "You should be amassing money right now..."
I skipped everything in this thread to read Grav's witty remarks. He let me down.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 09:00 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I skipped everything in this thread to..."
Do you have to take a piss test? I know it varies with certain companies. Also, you may not want to do 12 straight hours of physical labor. No matter how fit and strong you are, your body still isn't used to the workload and will need time to adjust.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-06-18, 09:33 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "You should be amassing money right now..."
Grav said: [Goto]
You should be amassing money right now while you can. It's hard for a lot of kids to even find jobs.
Ain't that the fucking truth. I've been job searching for 2 months now.. although I think I finally caught a break. I go in for my 2nd interview tomorrow and unless I make a complete ass of myself I'm 95% sure I'll get the job.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2009-06-18, 10:31 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Do you have to take a piss test? I know..."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Do you have to take a piss test? I know it varies with certain companies. Also, you may not want to do 12 straight hours of physical labor. No matter how fit and strong you are, your body still isn't used to the workload and will need time to adjust.
Yes, I would have to eliminate smoking out of my daily routine. The 12hour thing isn't too scary to me. They get 1 hour lunch breaks and 2 15 minute breaks, so that's fine. It's not like you're going to die. The labor part of it includes walking around with a motorized palet jack and filling an order onto the palet and walking it to either a truck or another area, dropping it off, and starting over somewhere else.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V