Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

I am trying to create an Ap system in rm2k3...
Posted 2006-04-15, 11:27 PM
Can you please help?

Okay here is where I am at right now.

In my game I want it so that you need to equipt certain items to learn your skills and change your class. I already have the whole "equipt this --- change to that" part figured out the problem is gaining the AP points in battle.

I am testing the system out with one item. ItÂ’s a ring and when you "level up" this ring you gain an ability afterwards every time you equipt the ring. SO far I have this:
I have 2 common events. One is called "AP Distribution" and the second is called "Blooper Ring Bank." In "Blooper Ring Bank" if the variable "B Ring Bank" is greater then "2" then a switch is turned on that then effects another common event that turns on a certain skill (In this case certain people and enemies speak a different language and when you equipt the ring you can understand them) Well I have tested this and it all works just wonderful. But when I try to make it so you earn the AP in battle this is the big problem. At the moment I have my battle events set up like this:
When "Blooper 1's" Hp is between 0 its starts the event:

Trigger Monster [1:Blooper]'s HP Between [0]
<>Branch Var [0004:no ap] is 1 or more
<>End Event Processing
<>
:End
<>Message: Got 1 AP!
: :From Blooper 1
<>Variable Oper: [0003:ap bank] +, 1
<>Variable Oper: [0003:no ap] +, 1
<>

This works fine and dandy with one enemy. It adds numbers to all the right places and if I were to change the AP points from 1 to 2 it would unlock the ring (If its equipped only) and you would gain the skill. BUT when I have 2 enemies on screen thats a different story. I put in the second page of that same battle this code:

Trigger Monster [2:Blooper]'s HP Between [0]
<>Branch Var [0005:no ap1] is 1 or more
<>End Event Processing
<>
<>Message: Got 1 AP!
: :From Blooper 2
<>Variable Oper: [0003:ap bank] +, 1
<>Variable Oper: [0005:no ap1] +, 1
<>

Logic says that you should kill monster 1, then get one point, then kill monster 2, and get another point. But no the case. What happens is after the first monster is killed you get your point. Cool beans, but when you kill monster number 2, it dose not give the point.

So solution...? I got rid of the End Event Processing tag, but then when you kill monster one, he gives you an AP point every turn you or the other monster makes. I got this to work once before but somehow screwed it up. My next challenge will be how to reset the "no ap" and "no ap1" variables. But baby steps.

Can anyone out there help me out?

Skeez
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skeezixthecat is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSkeezixthecat is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Skeezixthecat

Posted 2006-04-16, 02:28 PM in reply to Skeezixthecat's post "I am trying to create an Ap system in..."
If the last monster is killed, the battle ends instantly, ignoring all other triggers

So anything that triggers on a monster's death will usually fail.

However, if you set up a variable on turn 0 that basically tells a common event "Add this much to your AP pool", and have that variable set to 0 if anyone runs, all AP will be added properly at the end of the battle, once your common event takes place. Obviously this means that if you kill one guy and run, you'll get no AP, but that's fine since you get nothing if you run anyway. Probably the simpliest solution since you can adjust AP per battle instead of per monster.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-04-16, 05:00 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "If the last monster is killed, the..."
Good idea. But you know what I did? I ended up using an item insted. Sacraficing getting items at the end of battle I made it so that when you get the AP Point Item it adds a number to the AP Bank then is deleted. It actually works really well. The way my system is set up is I have 2 rings, a class ring and a skill ring. Both need to be leveled up. At the moment I only can do one at a time, for whatever reason the class ring always levels up before the skills. I dont know what but thats okay because it works in my favor. However... I am running into problems now where i am having trouble micromanaging where the AP points go in different conditions. Like lets say i have the wizard class ring and the blooper ring equipted if the blooper ring is not leveled and the wizard is but i have them both equipt then it wont put the ap into the blooper ring. It will if I chane some things but in order to do that I have to sacrafice a few other things. I am not going into detail yet but thats the minor problems I am running into. If I have more problems tho, ones that are just driving me crazy I will probedly post here. Thankyou for the help tho.

Skeez
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skeezixthecat is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSkeezixthecat is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Skeezixthecat

Posted 2006-04-16, 05:31 PM in reply to Skeezixthecat's post starting "Good idea. But you know what I did? I..."
Based on that, you're probably exiting the event once you try to level up a particular ring, successful or not.

Pseudocode:
Code:
IF Fighter Ring is equipped
    IF Fighter Ring's level isn't maxed out
        Add AP to Fighter Ring

Exit Event

If you do this, having the Fighter Ring equipped will make it so it doesn't even try to level up anything else. Taking out the Exit Event will make it so it'll check all rings to see if they're equipped and add AP to all the ones that are.

Of course, you can change the Exit Event into a "Jump To Label" command, and set a label at the start of the section for skill rings. Then if it finds a Fighter Ring, it'll add any AP, and ignore all other class rings, and jump straight to the skill rings and start checking those. Skill rings could have the Exit Event command if there's nothing else to add AP on afterwards.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-04-17, 12:01 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Based on that, you're probably exiting..."
Well, after some thought I ditched my original idea because it did not seem to be comming out exactly as I wanted. So I went searching fro some good tutorials and made myself a Draw system, this way its the same basic idea but insted of winning the points after battle you have to draw them durring. This added a few very cool elements to my battles even if it is basicly the DBS (I like RM2K3's DBS personally). Also makes it easier to custom your skills on the fly.
The worst problem right now is when changing my hero's class everything unequipts and not untill I totaly log out of the menu. Maybe I will figure some way to swap classes without having to equipt an item. I would RATHER you equipt an item to do it but I can deal. I am thinking that maybe I should have you equipt your class rings thru a switch item insted of the normal equipt menu. Since skills and classes are handled seperatly anyway. I dunno I will figure out something, now I am just rambling.

Bluecube, thank you for your insight and help. l8er

Skeez
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skeezixthecat